Time for residence: 19 September – 16 October 2022
Welcome to Jokkmokk, a city north of the Arctic Circle in Arctic Sweden and Sápmi.
In the autumn of 2022, we will offer a research-based residence for visual artists and artisans.
In Jokkmokk, there are the Sami cultural institutions Ájtte Swedish Mountain and Sami Museum, as well as the Sami Education Center/ Sámij åhpadusguovdásj and Sámi Duodji/ Sami handicraft foundation. Despite its small population with 4,900 inhabitants, the municipality has a rich cultural life and many active cultural workers.
During the stay, you as an artist will have the opportunity to meet artists and artisans from the area, but you will also have the opportunity to do research on a specific theme linked to the place. You will have your own room and share a kitchen at Kulturhuset Gamla Apoteket and your own workspace. The residency will end with a visit to the opening weekend at the Luleå Biennial.
During the stay, we like to see the artist give a presentation of their artistic work.
The residence is arranged by Kultur & Fritid, Jokkmokk municipality and Resurscentrum för konst. In collaboration with Gamla Apoteket. The residence in Jokkmokk is part of the network Swedish Lapland AiR with artist residence in Norrbotten.
The residence offers
• Tax-free scholarship of SEK 20,000
• Study visits/ activities/ materials/ travel costs up to SEK 15,000
• Accommodation at Gamla Apoteket, shared shower, WC and kitchen
• Private workspace
• Tailor-made program during the stay based on theme/ wishes
NOTE: any work produced during the residency is the artist’s responsibility to transport home
Criteria for applicants
• Professional artist och artisan with at least 2 years experience
• Both Swedish and international artist are able to apply
• It is possible to apply as a duo, there are two bedrooms available
Last day for Open call is 12th of June at midnight. The decision will be announced in June. Send your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org and mark the e-mail: ”residens Jokkmokk 2022”
Interviews with three selected artists will be conducted before the final selection.
If it becomes relevant with an interview, the date and time is 20 June 13.00 – 17.00 / 1PM – 5PM
Please put following in a PDF
• Letter of motivation, why do you want to go to Jokkmokk and what do you want to research, maximum 1500 words
• Pictures of previous work/ projects, maximum 5 projects and 3 pictures per project
• Artist resumé
• Your website/ Social media
• Contact information
Do you have any questions? Contact:
+4673 800 62 32
Sami Education center
Resurscentrum för konst